02 Jul 3 Effective Lower Back Pain Exercises You Can Do at Home
Lower back pain is something that most of us experience at some point. It is more common now due to our sedentary lifestyle, less activity, more sitting and less moving.
The normal action is to see the Doctor, where they prescribe medication for pain relief, and tell us to ‘stretch more’.
Most pain we experience is due to a muscle imbalance, or weakness. So strengthening exercises can be very helpful at reducing and eliminating pain, as well as preventing future issues. This helps to fix the cause, rather than just the symptoms.
Depending on the level of discomfort, there are some simple exercises you can do at home to relieve the tension and back pain, and help to build a strong foundation to correct the muscle imbalance.
1.Cat / Camel
– Start on the ground on all fours, knees and hands on the ground. Make sure your shoulder are directly over the hands.
– Now start to push your shoulder blades and push your upper back up and towards the ceiling while pushing away from the ground.
– Next, slowly raise your chest up while contracting your back and push your pelvis towards the floor.
– You will feel tension in your lower back so don’t go to hard, just feel the contraction.
– Repeat 10 times and put your focus to lift your core up and push your back towards the ceiling.
2. Glute Bridges
– Lie on your back with your legs at 90 degrees, and feet on the floor.
– Raise your hips off the floor towards the ceiling
– Squeeze your Glutes at the very top for 5 seconds
– Repeat 10 times.
3. Body Weight Squats
– Start with your feet shoulder width apart, standing tall, arms parallel to the floor
– Push your hips back and slowly drop down towards the floor
– Keep your weight through your heels, chest tall, arms level with the floor.
– Squeeze your Glutes at the top of the range when you stand up
– Repeat 10 times and track your progress.
Start with these simple exercises to reduce lower back pain, keep your Glutes strong and get more active throughout your day.